My son's doctor advised him to get a hepatitis vaccination.

Although exposed to drugs, he never used a needle or had unprotected sex relations. What is hepatitis exactly and why would a vaccination be advised?

There are hepatitis viruses that affect the liver and cause inflammation. Hepatitis A is contracted through cotaminated water; hepatitis B is contracted through sex or injection drug use.

I am a big believer in immunizations and offer them even when my patient is not at immediate risk of infection. I do it because preventing a disease is so much better than treating a disease.

Hep B and HIV +
HEP B infant test accuracy