Hep B and HIV +

Help me understand my results and the implicatiions. I was tested in Oct 2003 for HIV and Hep B & C. At that time HIV was neg, but my Hep results were: HBsAg-neg, Anti-Hbs and HBc-positive, Anti-HCV- negative. At the time, I was told that I had once had Hep B, but my body had fought it off. I asked if it was possible my occupatinal vaccinations for Hep B & C could cause these results and I was told no, I had definitly once had Hep B. I believe I was infected with HIV in March of 2004 (indeterminate in April, but positive in May). I have shared this info with my HIV doc and he confirmed what I had been told. My question then is, what is the implication now for my HIV. Am I at risk of the Hep B flairing up again and what danger is there to my liver. BTW, I am on Truvada/Sustiva.

I agree that your testing is consistent with prior hepatitis B.

Most likely this will not become an issue again. Yes reactivation of hepatitis B can occur, but it is usually in patients who are inactive carriers. Those patients have hepatitis B surface antigen, which fortunately you do not have.

As for the treatment, Truvada incorporates tenofovir and emtricitabine, both of which have great HBV activity. However, you do not have HBV virus in your bloodstream, so you are already in a good place.

Get vaccinated for hepatitis A if you have never been exposed.

person to person casual contact
HEPATITIS VACCINATION