Hep C risk?

Dear Doctor, I am very concerened these days. A few days ago I found that my mother is HCV positive. The doctor said that she has contracted the virus 25 years ago when she received blood after her miscarriage (which was after my birth). Is there a chance that I might have caught Hep C. also I have filled three of my teeth in Pakistan and as its a risk country I am very worried that I might be affected. I am planning for a child and I might be pregnant, the fear is not letting me do my tests, what if I find that I am HCV positive and pregnant at the same time. I had a miscarrige before and am hoping for this pregnancy, I am totally lost and cant think anymore. please advise

The risk from your mother is basically nil since she contracted it at the time after your birth so this wouldn't have been passed on perinatally. If there are other risks you can check for hepatitis C antibody. This again does not mean that you have active disease either, since if you DID get HCV from another exposure, you may have cleared it. I suspect you are negative.

Even if it is positive, there is only about a 5 percent chance of passing this to your baby. Even so, many children clear HCV whereas this does not happen as often in adults. Furthermore, children tolerate treatment much better than adults. And by the time your child would need treatment, there will probably be many more drugs.

So I hope you are relieved.

Hep C
HIV/HCV co-treatment