Sep 4, 2006
i am a male and have children and have met a women who has hepatitis c and i would like to know the risk for me and my children
| Response from Dr. McGovern
Hepatitis C can be transmitted sexually, but it is uncommon. The risk appears to increase in persons with multiple sexual partners, those who have genital ulcerative diseases, such as syphilis, and in those who have sex with trauma. In monogamous couples, the risk is low at 1 to 3 percent. Condoms are effective in preventing transmission.
There isn't risk to household contacts. We suggest not sharing razors.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Sinus Infection Could I Have Acute HIV Infection
- Hiv Transmission Blowjob From A Prostitute
- Pain In Urethra After Licking Anus Worried I Have
- Psoriasis After Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Glands After Touching Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- Vomiting After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.