Exposure to Hep B/C

Hello Dr. McGovern,

I'm hoping you may be able to help me. I went to the orthodontist today and was seated beside a man I know has Hep B and C. He had his hands in his mouth as he was telling the dentist he had a lesion in his mouth that wouldn't stop bleeding. I'm concerned I may have come into contact with his blood, either through touching the doors, computer, etc. that he touched with his "contaminated hands" or simply through receiving treatment directly after him (although the dentist and assistant did wash their hands quickly and change their gloves). Is it possible?

Thanks!

If that were the case, we would have a lot more HBV and HCV patients today than ever. Dentists go through rigorous training about infection control and all equipment is autoclaved and separate instruments that enter the oral cavity are used for each patient.

TRansmission of HCV or HBV is through blood to blood contact such as injection drug use.

Quantitative vs Qualitative?
Hepititis C/pregnancy