Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hep C and exercise
Sep 2, 2006

My question is regarding high intensity cardio training. I do a 45-minute treadmill workout 3 times a week. I maintain a heart rate of 160 to 170 BPM. I am comfortable with this routine and I do not feel worn out doing it. In fact, I feel like I could do a more intense routine but that puts my heart rate up too high. I do get paranoid sometimes that the increase in blood pressure during my workout may be bad for portal hypertension (which I do not even know if I have). I frequently feel "mild, itching discomfort" beneath my ribcage on the right side in the middle-side of my abdomen and I can't help but wonder if that is a warning sign. Also, I take a protein supplement (25 g of whey protein) and a multivitamin before each workout. I have heard that protein as well as various vitamins and minerals can be bad for hep c. My primary care doctor doesn't seem to have any answers, can you help?

Response from Dr. McGovern

It is great that you are so "fit" and exercise. I doubt you could do this if you did have portal hypertension. Those patients do not feel well and are extraordinarily fatigued.

As for vitamins, etc, I think a multivitamin a day is reasonable. Protein overload is not a good idea in patients with cirrhosis. Some patients take anti-oxidants like vitamin E, although the data on their benefit have not been fully investigated.

Previous
Inactive HBV carrier having unprotected sex with active HBV carrier
Next
HIGH LIVER ENZYMes

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.