Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hepatitis B & C, risks, tests
Aug 12, 2006

Dear Dr. McGovern,

I live outside the USA in a country where hep. B is endemic, and I'm not able to communicate well with local doctors. STD and hepatitis info.is limited, even in the local language.

I would sincerely appreciate your expert opinion.

I was screened for Hepatitis A, B and C in late 2004. All tests for anti-bodies and infection came back negative. Prior to this I was in a long term monogamous relationship, and I never have used any drugs, so I believe tests are accurate. I am a heterosexual male.

In January 2005 I began the full course of shots for hep. A (2 shots over 6 months) and hep.B (3 shots over 6 months).

No sex with a new partner until Dec. 30, 2005 (protected vaginal, unprotected oral sex giving and receiving, deep kissing¡X6 months after my completed hep A and B vaccinations). On Feb. 6, 2006 I was screened for Hep. B and C and the test results on the report read: Anti-HBs: reactive HBsAg(EIA): non-reactive Anti-Hepatitis C virus: non-reactive

My only sexual contact since Dec. 30, 2005 has been one episode of deep kissing and being masturbated by a female friend on May 3, 2006.

1. In my case, would you recommend retesting for hep. B infection and anti-bodies?

2. I tested negative again for hep. C anti-bodies on June 26, 2006 (6 months and 8 weeks each after last two sexual episodes). Should I get tested again for Hep.C? Is 8 weeks enough time for an accurate test result? And/or was my last "sex" too low risk to worry about?

3. On June 26, 2006 also tested neg. for syphilis (RPR), gonorrhea(urine), chlamyida(urine) and HIV (ELISA). Should I get retested for any of these? I know HIV test needs at least 90 days, but would 8 weeks be enough time for the other tests? Or was my last episode of "sex" too low risk for hep.B, C, HIV/STD's to worry about, esp. with the neg. test results at that time?

Thank you very much!

Response from Dr. McGovern

Your hepatitis B panel confirms that you have been protected. I would not bother with the other panel of tests for hepatitis B or for any of the other STDs.

Continue to use good judgment; keep in mind condoms for any sexual intercourse you may have in the future. Consistent condom use protects against papillomavirus, HIV, HBV, HCV, and herpes.

Previous
Toothbrush accidentally shared
Next
anti-HCV test time

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.