Aug 11, 2006
Is it possible to clear HCV with proper treatment if you were co-infected 17 months ago? How horrible is the treatment?
| Response from Dr. McGovern
Yes it is possible. The chances do vary depending on the type of hepatitis C you have (genotypes 2 and 3 are easier to treat than genotype 1 for example) and the amount of virus in your blood.
However, I always treat the individual patient even if they have a high viral load with genotype 1 infection - especially if they have liver disease. That is because, each person is different and I will judge their individual response by obtaining a viral load at 4 weeks.
The symptoms also vary from person to person. I have had few patients stop because of side effects. The most common side effects are fatigue, weight loss, muscle aches, poor appetite, irritability and depression.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Loose Stool After Insertive Anal Sex With Condom What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Painful Red Spots After Vaginal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Shingles After Unprotected Vaginal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Sore On Tongue After Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Glands After Touching Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Receptive Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.