Aug 6, 2006
If both parents were heroin users and have Hep. C...can their newborn be affected by this? Drug was stopped recently but both parents have Hep C....Thanks
| Response from Dr. McGovern
The key issue is whether the mother has hepatitis C. If so, there is a risk of transmission to the baby of approximately 5 percent. However, many children clear their hepatitis C even if it is transmitted. If they become chronic carriers, they can be treated and they tolerate treatment better than adults.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- If You Have Hiv But You Are Undetectable Can You Still Give Someone Hiv While Having Sex?
- Will Two People Infected With Genital Herpes Make Each Others Herpes Worse?
- Will Genital Warts Eventually Go Away And Not Flare Up Again?
- What Color Is Discharge From Herpes?
- What Are Physical Symptoms Of Genital Herpes?
- How Do You Tell If You Vaginitis Or A Uti?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.