reoccurence HCV3a

I am 64 yrs,was diagonised with hcv3a (PCR 48,700 viral copies/ml). I was treated with peglated interferon 135ml and ribavarin 600mg/week for 24 weeks .With this treatment achieved PCR <600 but after 6 mths of treatment the PCR increased to 47,200 . request to communicate your opinion & treatment.

I would discuss with your doctor as to why you were given a low dose of treatment. The usual dose is 180 ugm of Pegasys and 400 mg twice daily of ribavirin.

There may be several reasons why these low doses were chosen but you will need to discuss that with your doctor. You have an easy to treat genotype with a low viral load so a chance for virologic cure is clearly present.

If there are reasons that the low dose is necessary, I would personally retreat you and check your viral load response at 4 weeks. If undetectable, I would treat you for an additional nine months to go for the cure. This is based on a meta analysis published in Journal of Infectious Diseases by G. Drusano which showed that the best predictor of a treatment success was the time spent without virus in your blood.

hep C
Transmission of HCV during sex.