The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Do I need PCR?
Aug 5, 2006

Doctor My boyfriend`s got abnormal ALT and GGT for many years. Hes 45 now and has been tested for hepatitis B and C several times in the past 15 years. Hes been hepatitis B vaccinated. All these tests came out negative. Hes German and got blood transfusion when he was 1 year old in Germany. Hes been followed by a great doctor whos specialized in liver disfunctions. All other tests as ultrassonography, ceruloplasmin, ferritin, etc turned out to be normal. My question is: should he be tested for hepatitis C by PCR method regarding that blood transfusion even though hes got all these negative tests (ELISA 3rd generation for hepatitis c)all these years? Thank you very much!! Im worried!!

Response from Dr. McGovern

It sounds like your boyfriend has been tested extensively for hepatitis B and C viruses and is negative. I would not test any further since you have not mentioned any particular risk factors.

His minimally elevated ALT should be followed. His doctor may consider a liver biopsy at some point if these abnormalities persist or increase. I would be mainly concerned about fatty liver, if he has risk factors for this (diabetes, obesity, high cholesterol or triglycerides). Otherwise, his mildly elevated ALT could simply be a mild reaction to medications, alcohol, or even over the counter medications.

my window for vaccination is closing,please help asap
Vaccination Question

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint