Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

my window for vaccination is closing,please help asap
Aug 5, 2006

Greatings.First i have to say that you are realy great.Here is my problem.I reacently heard that giving unprotected oral sex or annilingus to a girl can be extremly risky for catching hbv if she is a carrier.So i got tested today and i was negative on hbv.But exactly 48 hours ago i performed annilingus on sexual worker(her hbv status is not known to me), that lasted for one minute no longer.I didn't have any visible cuts or lesions in my mouth or on my tongue,or any gum desase.I also didn't noticed or tasted any blood on her anus.So reading youor answers here i found that it is important to get vaccinated 72 hours after exposure to reduce the risk of contraction of hbv.Can you please tell me what are my chanses of getting hbv from this single incident(great , average, small ,remote etc.), becouse other ones are covered with test.And how much will the vacine reduce the risk of infection,.And if infection accures, does vaccine taken early enough can help in preventing chronnic stage ov hbv? I will have to bay vaccine in private hospital tomorov because here in Belgrade there is no state institution that works on Sunday And that is willing to give you vaccine.But i think no one has imonoglobulin at all, so mabye i will be able to get vaccine only.But something is better than nothing.Also to mention that i am consistent user of condoms on every intercourse even when i have a long relationship.Please answer me.Farewell.

Response from Dr. McGovern

In general I think it would be a good idea for you to be vaccinated against hepatitis B. However, I do not think that you need to be vaccinated immediately due to the risk you described. Clearly the greatest risk is with sexual intercourse, especially with trauma.

Previous
Hepsera or Entecavir?
Next
Do I need PCR?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.