|Value of a Spleen
Jul 28, 2006
My boyfriend was just diagnosed with Hep C, he has no spleen. Does this make his condition worse?
| Response from Dr. McGovern
If someone does not have a spleen, that does not necessarily make their hepatitis C worse.
However, when liver disease becomes advanced after years and years of infection from hepatitis C, the spleen becomes enlarged. This can be an important physical examination finding.
Your boyfriend will not be able to have this as a tell-tale sign of liver disease. However, there are other ways to tell the extent of liver disease including liver biopsies or fibrosis markers.
The spleen does protect against bacteria so he should always consider a fever a reason to get emergent care.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Burning Red Spots After Oral Sex Form Sex Worker What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Chest Cold After Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Ear Infection After Nipple Biting Worried I Have HIV
- Erectile Dysfunction After Sex With Sex Worker Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Balls After Unprotected Anal Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Pain In Balls After Swallowing Cum Sign Of HIV AIDS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.