Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

geno 3a
Jul 19, 2006

Hi I have hcv genotype 3a and have just finished treatnet so far I am undetactable after treatment but My blood results of 3 months after treatment are ALT 40 AST 45 and I am very worried that the virus has returned as they were 30 and 29 after I finished tx so is it true that genotype 3a has a very high relapse rate? and waht would you do if no further tx is offered as in the UK they wont retreat gen 2 and 3 till new treatment become available, I have moderate fibrosis Ishak 3. thank you

Response from Dr. McGovern

I certainly hope as well that you maintain a non detectable viral load. Although your numbers are slightly higher, they are still quite moderate. You really need to know your viral load.

If you were only treated for six months and you relapse, I would treat you again for 48 weeks. If this is not possible in the UK, remember that new drugs are definitely in the pipeline and your Ishak score is 3. Liver disease progresses slowly, and your interferon treatment has most likely slowed down your disease progression (even if you do relapse).

Best of luck.

Previous
Genotype 4
Next
viral load 0

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.