The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Jul 8, 2006

Hi Im gay and have my partner, I didnt know the last year that I was infected until i got Sick with the diseases like candida and toxoplasmosis. My partner ten years ago was living with a man who was infected, and he said that he sometimes had sex without condon and after the years he check his test and he was HIV Negative. Three years ago he got Hepatitis B, and when I Met him he said to me that We should take care of Us, and we Did it, but many times he did sex without protection in the nights, having oral sex and anal sex without protection. Now Im taking treatments and my cd4 are in 400, My VC is les than 400. How can I know if he infected me with Hepatitis b?, The Hapatitis B is it cronic?. Im sorry but my english is not good Im trying to ask this, but in the spanish site is not complety and they dont give us any answer of this... Thank you Pablo

Response from Dr. McGovern

First, your English is just fine. I wish I were bilingual.

All patients with HIV should be tested for hepatitis B as well. If you have not been exposed, you should then get vaccinated against hepatitis B. If you have chronic infection with hepatitis B, then your HIV medications should also include those with activity against hepatitis B. You can discuss this with your doctor.

You are doing a great job with your medications considering your excellent blood results (eg, great CD4 count). Keep up the great job.

Elevated liver enzyme AST/ALT
Long term effects from combination therapy?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint