Hep C-1A

I was diagnosed in May of having the disease. I've had a liver sonagram and the report states that the echogenicity of the liver is normal with no evidence of discrete mass, the Biliary tree is normal and no evidence of ascites. However I've had no liver biopsy only bloodwork. My question is; shouldn't I still have a biopsy ? And is Genotype 1-A the worst and most difficult to treat/cure ? Thanks.

I generally offer a liver biopsy to my hepatitis C patients who have hepatitis virus in their blood (not just antibody).

I do that especially in genotype 1 patients because the likelihood of successful treatment is about 55 percent compared to much higher rates of success with genotypes 2 or 3.

However, it is important to keep in mind that these figures are for populations of patients and not individuals. There are many other factors that are important including taking ALL your medications ALL the time. That really matters.

The other possibility is to get some blood tests that assess scarring if you do not want a liver biopsy. These blood tests are more limited at present,but continue to improve over time.

Husband and Hep C
any NEW hep c treatments