hep. B

someone in our family has Hep. B, and they are coming to visit. What percautions if any should we take. My mother has not yet had the shot, and there isn't enough time for her to have it. They arrive in less then a month. I understand that really the only way to contract this disease is through sex. What about on a pillow, on hot nights? I am still ignorant about some of the ways. I love this family member with all my heart, I just want to keep the rest of my family safe too. Thank you

Thank you for your question. I understand your concerns.

Yes you are correct that HBV is mainly spread through sexual contact or through sharing needles. I only advise no sharing of razors or eating with the same utensils (ie passing a fork from person to person - you can wash the utensils and use them again). HBV is not spread through casual contact in the home or via hugging or kissing.

Have a great visit.

Abnormal Elevated ALT
Is it SAFE ?