Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hepa B or Fatty Liver???
Jun 18, 2006

I am a 32-year old female,5 feet and 2 inches in height and weighing 198lbs.I experience occasional right upper quadrant abdominal pain during periods of stress and physical fatigue. I most especially feel the pain when I sleep in a prone position.

Here are my lab results:

Urinalysis: color: straw, transparency-hazy, protein-trace, pH-5.0, RBC 0-2 squamous cells-few, bacteria- few, mucus threads-few, casts-finely granular

Chemistry: Uric acid 8.14 (normal: 2.7-7.3 mg/dl), SGPT-64.1 (4-36 mg/dl), neutrophil-41(55-70), segmenter-41(55-65), eosinophil:04(1-3) , monocyte: 10(4-8), lymphocyte:45(25-35 Solid Phase Enzyme Immuno-asay: REACTIVE/POSITIVE for HBsAg. ECLIA- NON-REACTIVE/NEGATIVE for HBeAG

The first doctor i consulted told me that I have chronic Hepa B.She advised me that when my SGPT doubles after a month I will need to have HBV-DNA test which is qquite expensive here in our country(Philippines). There are no other signs and symptoms except for occasional pain felt in the upper right quadrant of my abdomen. I went to another reliable doctor and he told me that I had no hepatitis B and I'm not infectious either.The reason for my raised liver function test is of metabolic cause and that i need to loose weight.He told me that I may have fatty liver.If I have fatty liver, is it possible that my HbsAg could turn out positive?

Response from Dr. McGovern

Sometimes the hepatitis B surface antigen can be a false positive and on further testing it will come back negative. I suspect that is the case with you since the second doctor told you that you did not have hepatitis B.

Yes I also agree with him that your abnormal liver function tests (SGPT) could be due to fatty liver. Weight loss would be very important in your care.

Previous
Hep B test results
Next
TRANSMISSION OF HEPATITIS C AFTER TREATMENT

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.