Hep B e-negative

I am e-antigen negative and have a viral load of 842 iu/ml and 1550 copies/ml. Do I need treatment? If so, what kind? I had this infection 29 years ago when my mom gave birth to me...however both my child of 3 years and husband of 4 are negative. I just found out 3 months ago (b/c I am expecting) through a routine blood test that I have Hep B. In my case, what should I do? Also, do I need treatment right now and if so, what kind?

Thank You

This is an excellent question.

There are two issues: what to do for you and what to do for your baby. 1. Your baby will receive immunizations at birth that have an excellent track record of preventing HBV transmission, but it is not 100 percent. 2. There was one study to suggest that lamivudine treatment in the last 8 weeks of pregnancy is reasonable in patients with high viral loads as another method of preventing transmission. This is not done routinely so you would need to discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor. 3. I would get another viral load test towards the seventh month of pregnancy to see what is happening with that before making any treatment decisions. 4. I would advise any further treatment for you after you give birth. Any decisions to treat would have to be based on whether you actually have liver disease or not (via a biopsy).

Hep. but not a,b,c
hepititas c