Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

lover w/ hiv hep c
Jun 18, 2006

i am dating and contemplating a future w/ a man with hiv and hep c that he has had since 1989..what health risks am i looking at and what can be his life span if he is in treatment and shows no signs presently?

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would advise baseline HIV and HCV testing if you were at all at risk in the past (unprotected intercourse). Then I would suggest use of condoms for all episodes of intercourse, no sharing of razors or toothbrushes, and avoidance of anal sex which carries the highest risk of all.

His lifespan is that of any chronic disease like diabetes. As long as he takes medications on a regular basis, he will probably live a long life.

Previous
HBV
Next
can my wife live for long life

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.