drug treatment results

DR. I was on Epivir HBV for about 4 months and my DNA level was at 685,000 copies/mL and AST = 17 ALT = 28. Then i switched doctor and he placed me on adefovir and after about 6 months my DNA level has increased to 4,660,000 copies/mL and AST = 16 ALT = 21. My doctor said Adefovir is the preferred drug, but should i switch back to Epivir since my DNA level was lower w/ that drug. I would greatly appreciate a response. thanks in advance.

Your viral load is certainly going up so the adefovir is not working.

One of the major issues here is whether you should continue therapy. I do not know some important information about you so it is hard to advise. 1. What was your baseline DNA level? If it was extremely high and the epivir brought it done significantly, maybe this would work. HOwever, there are more potent drugs now like entecavir with less risk of resistace. 2. What did your liver biopsy show? Do you definitely need treatment? 3. What were your baseline liver function tests? If not elevated, you may not respond well to a lot of treatments, including interfeorn..

cirrohis & hep c
immune response to different viruses