Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

cirrohis & hep c
Jun 17, 2006

my father just found out he has hep c & cirrohis, i went to the doctor with him to try & learn about the disease, i let with may questions i did not want to ask while he wsa in the room. is this a death sentence? he is currently taking the interferon treatment, how long do people live with this. he seems to be doing well, i am worried about him, what can i do besides give him support through this help? carol

Response from Dr. McGovern

Thank you for your question. Yes interferon can certainly help and even cure him of his hepatitis C. Whether it is helping will be obviously soon when they check a Hepatitis C RNA level.

If he is not cured, he may want to discuss with his doctor as to whether he could enter a clinical trial of "maintenance" therapy with low-dose interferon. He may also want to be evaluated for a liver transplant even if he only has compensated cirrhosis, so he can get a slow and leisurely evaluation. He may never need this however.

I would support him by reinforcing the importance of taking all his meds all the time. Also no alcohol!

Hope this is helpful.

Previous
HIV/HBV likely seropositive timeline
Next
drug treatment results

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.