HIV/HBV likely seropositive timeline

Dear Dr. My partner and I were exposed to HBV on Dec 21, 2005, which at the time we were unaware of. I developed severe symptoms(fatigue,upper body weakness, lymph swelling, but no jaundice) in exactly 4 weeks. My partner had none. Thinking it was the flu, we went on a work/vacation trip to florida for 3 1/2 weeks. While on our cruise ship, I got darkened urine and putty-like stool. When we got home on Feb 26,06 I went to clinic. I was positive for HBV surface antigen. My partner was positive for HBV antibody. We both tested non-reactive to HIV from labs done on Mar 5, 06. My Liver Specialists said that the HIV would come after the HBV is resolved by my body. We have since learned that the HIV exposure is for sure also on Dec 21, 05. Our HIV Tests were non-reactive at the 11 week mark from exposure. I have been categorized as a slow HBV AB converter. I have as of April 27 tests developed Core and 'E' antibodies, but not surface antibodies. Not sure why I wasn't tested for HIV on that date. My question is: Is it correct that HIV seropositive comes after a 'settling' of the HBV or are we on the good side of the timeline at an 11 week HIV non-reactive tests? Also, I am having pain spasm in the liver region, is that normal for hepatitis B? Am I slow seroconverting for HBV due to a possible coinfection with HIV?

I do not suspect that your hepatitis B is affecting your HIV testing. I would recommend HIV testing at 6 months after the exposure as well. HOwever, most patients who seroconvert are detected by now.

test result
cirrohis & hep c