The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Which doctor to consult if HBSAG reactive?
Jun 7, 2006

My brother had a hepa b blood test and was HBSAG reactive, is that a diagnosis of Hepa B? Can u pls tell us what's it all about and which doctor will we consult? thank you

Response from Dr. McGovern

If the hepatitis B surface antigen is positive, your brother needs further blood testing to determine whether he has acute (recently acquired) or chronic infection.

A primary care care can start the testing; referral to a hepatologist or an infectious disease doctor (who is expert in viral hepatitis) is best after that.

about Hep B carrier
hepatitis b virus active

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint