Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HVC confused and panic please help
Jun 7, 2006

Please help on this panic issue. Here are my testing results: - First test: HAV Ab, Total : Reactive HaV Ab (IgM) : Non-Reactive HaV Ab (IgG) : Reactive

All HB tests are: Non-Reactive

HCV Ab : Reactive with Signal Cut-off: 0.97

- Second test HAV Ab, Total : Reactive HaV Ab (IgM) : Non-Reactive HaV Ab (IgG) : Reactive

All HB tests are: Non-Reactive

HCV Ab : Reactive with Signal Cut-off: 1.02

- HVC RIBA test: HCV Ab, RIBA: INDETERMINATE 5-1-1(p)/c100(p) Non-Reactive NS5 Non-Reactive C33c Reactive C22p Non-Reactive hSOD Non-Reactive HCV RNA, QL, PCR: NOT DETECTED

Here are my questions: - Does the HVC RIBA suggest that I am under the early state of development of HVC? Or is it a possibility of False-positive? - My wife is 4 months pregnant, I dont want her to get panic so I have not mentioned it to her yet because my doctor said it is very likely that it was a false-positive and I should confirm the test in 3 months. Should I get my wife tested or it is unnecessary in this case because my result is Indeterminate? - What should I do next? Please help because I am confused. I am not sure how I would get HVC. I consider my self as a very low risk of HVC. Only 3 sex partners all my life (unprotected) and never got blood-transfusion at all. What is the chance to me getting HVC and how to confirm that? Thank you very much and your site truly has ton of useful information.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I agree with your doctor that this is probably a false positive result.

First you are very low risk of acquiring HCV.

Secondly, you do not have evidence of virus in your blood so there is no risk to your wife.

I suspect that you do NOT have HCV. Patients who react to only one HCV marker have an "indeterminate" result. But without virus in your blood and without clear risk factors, you are most certainly HCV uninfected. These kind of test results cause a lot of anxiety.

Dr. M

Previous
Non- Reactive?
Next
hepititus b&c

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.