chances of relapse

I have hepC 1a. Txing with peg, copeg for 48 weeks. My viral load was 1.2 million at the start of tx, at 12 weeks was at 37,000. My doc wanted me to stop tx because my V/L didnt have a 2 log drop, but I insisted on continuing. Doc said I have about a 2% chance of SVR, because I am a slow responder. Now I cleared at 20 weeks and have 4 weeks of tx left. Are my chances still high for relapsing when I go off the tx?

Excellent question.

I agree with you that it was worth trying to continue. Although you did not get a 2 log drop in virus, you were pretty close to that. You are slower to clear than some patients, but you did make it after five months. However, I would not treat you for only 48 weeks because I am certain you will relapse.

If you were my patient, I would try to treat you for nine months after you obtained a non-detectable virus load. The reason I say this is that a meta-analysis of many patients who obtained a non-detectable viral load was done (Drusano, Journal of Infectious Diseases). This paper showed that the patients who kept their non-detectable viral load after treatment was stopped had a non-detectable viral load for at least nine months while on therapy. That is where I am getting my nine month rule from and I would quote that paper when writing to the insurance company, if they wanted to know the rationale.

how long can my brother live with aids?
479,000