Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

finishing 14 wks of hep c treatment
May 27, 2006

i am finishing 14 weeks of treatment for geneotype 2b, had a viral load of 47,000, am a 35 yr old female. my doc told me I only had to do 14 wks of treatment due to the studies they have done, i fell into all 4 categories of only having to do the 14 weeks. The virus has been cleared since week 2. And I just did my final blood test to get my release, and it shows the viral load less than 5 and my LOG is .05 Now they say it's completely negative, but even in the future my blood will always show this number, but that it's not active. Is that correct? I will never show a "o" number??

Also, do I still have to be carful with my blood? I mean obviously you dont just toss your blood around, but I don't want to panic everytime I cut my finger or papercut myself and my son or husband are around me.

Also my doctor says it's safe to drink a few drinks again, but I've gotten conflicting stories on how much. I'm not a big drinker, but I would like to enjoy a couple glasses of red wine on my weekends with dinner. Is that ok??

What would cause a relapse and have the virus return? Would it be those few glasses of wine? My doctor doesnt think since my viral load was so low to begin with I would have to worry about relapse, but I'm still concerned a little until I do that final 6 month recheck. I just don't want to do anything, if that's possible, that would cause a relapse.

Thank you

Response from Dr. McGovern

Yes that is just a function of the tests. Many tests will say <5 or <50 etc...

They never say zero, because they can't be absolutely sure of such a number. However, it sounds like you are doing great.

Best of luck.

Previous
patient results
Next
riba test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.