Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

help in interpreting the test results pleasessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
May 14, 2006

Before August 2004, I had five to six unprotected encounters. Later I found out that out those six, three girls where drug addicts. That drove me wild. Here some of test I have done in past, please help me to Interpret them:

1. Ist test set done in December 2004: was done through a website requestatest.com in the Labcorp. Whole set included HIV-EIA&PCR, Hep. A,B&C, Syphilis, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Herpeselect? Type 1&2 Type Specific Immunoblot. Test result: all negative but positive for Hep. A and Herpes 1.

2. Second Test set was in Feb. 2005: was done in my doctor's office through Labcorp. Test result: IN COMPLETE METABOLISM PANEL, everything was normal except ALT was 65 IU/L. (AST=30IU/ML, Alkaline phosphatase, serum=79IU/ML) a. HAVAb-IgM-- Negative b. HBsAg Screen --Negative c. HBcAb,IgM -- Negative d. Hep C Virus Ab -- Negative. With the test for Hep C antibody there was note saying that this is a 2nd generation assay for the detection of multiple forms of anti -HCV in human serum or plasms. A test result that is negative does not exclude the pssibility of exposure to or infection with HCV. Negative results in this assay in individuals with prior exposure to HCV may be due to antibody levels below the limit of detection of this assay or lack of antibody reactivity to the HCV antigens used in the assay.

3. On august 17, 2005 another test for HIV ---EIA&PCR through another website called labsafe.com in Labcorp. Result-- NEGATIVE.

4.On November 16, 2005, another set of tests through a website called labsafe.com in Labcrop. Results are a. HBsAg Screen ---- Negative b. HBcAb, Total ---- Negative c. HBsAb less than 3.0 inconsistent with immunity. d. HCV Ab -- 0.2 s/co ratio --- negative. e. RPR -- Non-reactive f. HSV 1 IgG, Type Spec. --- negative. g. HSV 2 IgG, Type Spec. --- negative. h. HIV--- EIA&PCR--- negative. I. Chlamydia and Gonorrhea ---negative.

5. On March 29, 2006 another set of tests through a local non-profit std clinic using QUEST DIAGNOSTICS LABS. results are: a. HBsAg ----Negative b. HBsAb ----Negative c. HBcAb ----Negative d. HCVAb ----Negative e. RPR ---Nonreactive f. Chlamydia & Gonorrhea ---Negative. g. HIV 1&2, EIA--negative, fingerstick -negative, orasure -- negative. h. Alkaline phosphatase, serum-- 75 IU/ML. i. AST = 25 IU/ML j. ALT = 45 IU/ML

AFTER ALL THESE TESTS DO YOU THINK: 1. AM I INFECTED WITH HEP B&C OR NOT? 2. DO THINK I SHOULD DO HBeAg AND HBeAB TEST TOO? 3. HOW ABOUT HBV NGIUltraQual, Qualitative by PCR with sensitivity of 1-2 copies/ml? 4. HOW ABOUT HCV NGIUltraQual with assay sensitivity of 5-8 copies/mL(2-3IU/mL)? 5. How about RIBA for HCV antibodies? 6. Am I HIV free? 7. What does s/co ratio means? Is that ratio is considered negative up to 0.9 and positive for greater than 1.0?

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would not pursue further testing.

You are negative for multiple STDs and that is great.

No further testing is needed.

Dr. M

Previous
Transmission through dry blood
Next
hep c

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.