Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

what are the chance I'm HIV positive?
May 14, 2006

I met a guy about 5 months ago and we had unprotected sex (I know silly me, but I really believed him when he told me he was not infected!); We split up about 3 weeks ago and 2 days ago he admited he is HIV positive!! Whenever I had sex with him I used to come inside him and last time I got penetrated and he came inside me. He is trying to ensure me by saying his 12-years-long- relationship partner never got infected eventhough they keep having unprotected sex!! Is it possible? He is been HIV+ since 1997 and he's under treatment with very good results. And apparently another of his previous partner he is HIV negative even though he used to have unprotected sex with my ex bf. Is it possible? Tomorrow I will get my HIV test but I know I have to have another one in about 2 months. My question is: is it really possible not get infected by having unprotected sex several times with an HIV+ man as my ex bf is claiming? Thanks for your reply.

Response from Dr. McGovern

Please refer your HIV questions to the HIV forum.

I will quickly say that yes it is possible, but it could be related to specific host factors. For example, some people are more "resistant" to getting HIV than others because of a rare genetic background.

Also, although the risk of transmitting HIV is lower in patients with low or non-detectable viral loads, it is still not zero by any means!

It is not a good idea to "test fate" as they say. Always use condoms. Safe sex is the best protection.

Dr. M

Previous
abnormal pap smear
Next
Hep B and Marriage

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.