What to ask my doctor

This past December 2005 I had unprotected MM oral sex and swallowed semen. About three weeks later, I came down with a sore throat, slightly painful swollen gland under the left side of my jaw and a rash on my upper torso. I have had diarreah and some pain under my right side and in my stomach area. I recently had a Home Access hiv test at 18 weeks which was negative but continue to have diarreah and pain in my right side area.

I talked to my partner from that day in December and he said that he is completely healthy and a Vietnam vet that has spent time at the VA hospital for stress related items but nothing else. He said that they would have checked for HCV if they thought he had it but I am not so sure.

Should I mention to my doctor that he is a Vietnam vet?

What tests should I expect from my doctor?

Since the CDC guidelines that I have seen consider transmission of HCV by oral sex low, will he still do an HCV test?

Thank you for your time.

I agree that it is a good idea to see your physician since you are still not feeling well. I would clarify your concerns with him or her, but do not suspect hepatitis C is highly likely due to your oral exposure. I think it is reasonable to do HIV testing and to work up other causes for lymph nodes and rash, such as mononucleosis, for example. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Best regards, Dr. M

help...question
Acute or Chronic?