The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What to ask my doctor
May 14, 2006

This past December 2005 I had unprotected MM oral sex and swallowed semen. About three weeks later, I came down with a sore throat, slightly painful swollen gland under the left side of my jaw and a rash on my upper torso. I have had diarreah and some pain under my right side and in my stomach area. I recently had a Home Access hiv test at 18 weeks which was negative but continue to have diarreah and pain in my right side area.

I talked to my partner from that day in December and he said that he is completely healthy and a Vietnam vet that has spent time at the VA hospital for stress related items but nothing else. He said that they would have checked for HCV if they thought he had it but I am not so sure.

Should I mention to my doctor that he is a Vietnam vet?

What tests should I expect from my doctor?

Since the CDC guidelines that I have seen consider transmission of HCV by oral sex low, will he still do an HCV test?

Thank you for your time.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I agree that it is a good idea to see your physician since you are still not feeling well. I would clarify your concerns with him or her, but do not suspect hepatitis C is highly likely due to your oral exposure. I think it is reasonable to do HIV testing and to work up other causes for lymph nodes and rash, such as mononucleosis, for example. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Best regards, Dr. M

Acute or Chronic?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint