HIV+Hep B and a Baby

Hi!

My child's main caregiver (besides her parents) was just diagnosed with both Hep B and HIV.

Now I am worried that continuing to care for my daughter will put him at risk since children tend to spread so many germs.

Do we have to give up his important place in our family, or is there a way he can stay healthy and be an active uncle, too?

(This is more a question about child care than hep and HIV, but this looked like the closest match in the options given!)

Thanks, Shannon

Both Hepatitis B and HIV are transmitted through contaminated blood. This is most efficiently transmitted through sexual intercourse for HBV and injection drug use for HIV.

Routine contact with your son (holding,hugging, kissing) is not a problem. We do recommend hepatitis B immunzations for family and household contacts of a chronic hepatitis B carrier, as recommended by the American Association for Liver Disease.

Your son will be getting HBV vaccine as part of the routine schedule. Please check with your pediatrician to see when he is scheduled for this vaccine and discuss this issue more with him or her.

Dr. M

Hepb?
Am I better?