HIV, HEP, and Feces, Part 2

Dr. McGovern,

Thanks for responding to my question. Am I correct to assume a liver panel is the first step in detection of Hepatitis A (Which I have established immunity, Hepatitis B, and Hepatitis C? My doctor did not perfrom HBV or HCV antibody tests. He, only, performed a liver panel. I did have another HIV test, at 42 weeks, and it was, again, negative.

Thanks, again, and by the way--you look, exactly, like my secretary!!!

The "liver panel" usually means total bilirubin, alkaline phosphatase, and aminotransferases (ALT and AST). Patients with acute hepatitis always have rising ALT and AST over time.

The virus may be in the blood first, but later the liver tests always become abnormal.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr. M

hcv treatment
HIV/HCV Coinfected: which to treat first?