about LFT results

Dear Dr. McGovern I was detected to be HBsAg +ve about 25 years back at the age of 35. Since 2002, every year my total Bilirubin was rising by 0.2. from avalue of 1.2 in 2003, it came to 1.6 in Sept 2005. This month it stands at 2.5 (a sudden spurt)with direct bilirubin at 0.8 and SGPT at 114. Direct bilirubin and SGPT were with the range till Sept. 2005. Is this rate of change of LFT parameters due to simvastatin (Simcard 5 mg daily) or it means activation of the B virus? What should I do next to get out of this worry? Expecting an early response and thanking you Yours Sincerely Batra, I.S.

There are two important issues:

1. A rise in bilirubin that is mostly indirect (like yours) suggests something aside from liver disease is causing that problem. This type of elevation can be from something simple called Gilbert's syndrome, and it just relates to how your body deals with bilirubin. Elevations of bilirubin can be from other non-liver related issues as well. This you should discuss with your phyisician.

2. As for the liver function tests and your hepatitis B: this should certainly be evaluated further with HBV DNA and a liver biopsy.

Dr. M

HBV and antibiotic
Hepatitis B and oral sex