Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please help me + again
Apr 1, 2006

Hi Dr Barbara

Just got my DNA qualitative( it was positive)my dr. ordered for me dna quantitative and he still believe that this is not a resitance case and told me to stop take erbal capsuls called Phyto Diasol for my slight diabatic also to stop taking Lapiturs 10mg for cholostrol because he believes that thier is effects on the medicin work .Please i need your opinion because he wants to cont. for three months before he decides to switc me to Hespera .Do you think it is ok to try specially that my last 02 PCR were neg.

Thanks again for your kindness and the great help you are providing to us

Hi Doctor

I am Heb B chronic with E negative and anti E positive. My dna was 85000 c/ml before i started one year ago the treatment with Lamuvidine 100mg . I did 02 dna quant. teste ( 03 months a part )and both test results were gative. All my other related tests are ok and withen the normal same as before starting the medicin . My question is as a E g positive and anti E positive from the start .What is the length of the period of my treatment and what is going to happen if i stop after 01 year of lamuvidine ? .

Thank you so much for your kindness.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I usually treat a patient who converts their e antigen positive status to an e antibody positive status for a minimum of 6 months after the conversion. I usually prefer to also treat for 6 months after the HBV DNA level is not detectable anymore. Sometimes these events do not occur together. If the virus comes down after the seroconversion, I personally prefer to treat for an additional six months after a non-detectable virus level has been achieved.

Expert panels recommend a minimum of 4 to 6 months after seroconversion, although quite frankly, the best plan of action is not quite clear.

You will want to discuss this further with your own physician to get their opinion as well.

Response from Dr. McGovern

It sounds like you are making progress; however, it would be helpful to have your quantitative level of HBV DNA back before we can really say whether you have resistance or not.

Also what is your current medication? I am also assuming that your hepatitis B e antibody is still positive.

Dr. M

Previous
HEP B Lab Results
Next
Hep B & WBC question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.