The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

catchinf hepatitis in pathological chemistry lab from contaminated blood on a getry paper
Apr 1, 2006

Can I be infected with hepatitis by treating hepatatis contaminated getry paper with unprotected hands (without gloves) and then touching my hair or face with those hads? can any kind of infectious desease be transmitted by touching or spilling the blood or other infected sorce? And what should I do if I spill on myself or touch this contaminated sorce? Is washing hands with good laboratory soap sufficiant or chlorhexidine should also be used? is a simple soap sufficiant? If I touch blood that has no sign that it is infected with anything in the laboratory and then touch my cellular phone, should I cleen it with alcohol or chlohexadine? Thanks in advance, sophia Shira

Response from Dr. McGovern

Transmission of hepatitis B occurs mainly through sex and injection drug use; transmission of hepatitis C is mainly through injection drug use. Transmission requires entry of the virus into your own bloodstream. Therefore touching your face etc, should not be a "portal of entry" for the virus.

I certainly would recommend universal precautions and more extensive use of gloves with anything that is suspect. Simple hand washing should be sufficient in general.

However, I also think that you should have more discussion with your laboratory supervisor regarding routine procedures to be certain you are not putting yourself at undo risk, since I am not fully cognizant of your particular situation.

Dr. M.

Why HBsAg (+) when HBV DNA(-)?
Hepatitis b test results PLEASE ANSWER

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint