Intimate Contact

I have been diagnosed as have surface anogens B&C Hepatitus.as being a carrier Iguess I have been having regular blood panels as suggested by the doctors.My Girlfriend&I have just decidedto get married but to date we have not had sex. she knows about my condition and we need to know if she should get the vacinne for A&B and if she is at risk to contract C from me.

Good questions....

1. Hepatitis B can be transmitted easily through sex so it is extremely important for your fiance to get tested for hepatitis B serologies. It is quite possible that she has received hepatitis B vaccines through routine immunization in adolescence, but she should see her physician to be certain that her hepatitis B surface antibody is positive. This positive result, in the absence of any other surface marker, in indicative of past successful immunization. If she has not been immunized, she should definitely get vaccinated.

2. Hepatitis C can be transmitted sexually, but not nearly as common as hepatitis B. The risk between monogamous couples is about 1 to 3 percent. The risk is decreased with condom use. The decision about using condoms will be something you will want to discuss carefully with each other. The risk of transmission is low - but it is not zero.

Best of luck to both of you on your impending marriage. Dr. M

I am HIV+ and my best friend has hepatitis
blood work