I am HIV+ and my best friend has hepatitis

I was diagnosed AIDS the week of 9-11-2001 and am doing ok with my meds. My best friend of 15+ years just told me he has hepatitis C. My question is, is there anything i should be conserned about while i'm around him? Knowing i am open to get infections and other deasies easily, Is there any prevention measures i should take? As I say we are best of friends and do alot togeather evan at a time we have shared a girl or two togeather though this was before i was HIV+. Today all we do is hang out and talk over smoking a joint or two. Could i be at risk of getting hepatitis C from him? Any feedback would be greatly welcomed. Thank you for your time in this matter.

You are not at risk for getting hepatitis C from your friend. Hepatitis C is spread through exposure to blood through injection drug use and uncommonly through sex.

Your physician should have already checked you for hepatitis A, B, and C antibodies, as recommended by the guidelines. You should discuss whether you have evidence of any of these infections. If you have no evidence of hepatitis B or A, I would recommend vaccination.

Dr. M

HepatitisB infection and consequences
Intimate Contact