Hepatitis and HIV

I have been hiv+ for 2,5 years. My cd4 cells are at 800 and my viral load is at 5000. I never had any hiv-medication.

I had 3 hep b vaccinations. The second vaccination one month after the first one and the third one 6 month after the first vaccination. However my body has not reacted at all and I have no antigenes (is that the right word).

My doctor says that on some people the vaccination does not work. Is that so ?

I never had Hep A, B or C.

Does this mean that I have higher risk of contracting hep B

I am quite worried.

Although it sounds like your immune system is doing great, you are not making antibody to vaccine.

This is actually common in HIV infected patients, although it is more common if your CD4 cells are low.

I would advise a trial of a booster shot to see if that may help. Another possibility is to try another round of immunization with a higher dose of vaccine.

Dr. M

Obvious question - but PLEASE replyS
Are nurses infecting med students in our campus?