My fiance has Hep B, can we have children?

Hi Dr. McGovern,

thanks for helping. My fiance has tested positive to Hep B. Now I have just been tested and I'm negative. Since I have had the vaccine they say I am immune. Can I continue to have unprotected sex with her if she is positive? Will I stay immune for life? Will we be able to have children?

Thank you for having this forum and for answering this question.

If you have been told that you are immune, then your surface antibodies are probably in a good range after the vaccine.

What I would do is periodly get surface antibodies checked (eg, with your annual physical) and make certain your levels stay in range. If they begin to fall you can simply get a booster.

Yes you can have children. The vaccination is quite effective in preventing transmission. Furthermore, there is new data suggesting that treatment during pregnancy may also be considered.

Best of luck.

Dr. M

Test results
Obvious question - but PLEASE replyS