My girlfriend's tested positive to Hep B, Please Help!

Hi thanks for helping,

my girlfriend recently tested positive for Hep B.. we have been together and having unprotected sex for 4 years.

I was vacinated for travel purposes (and therefore not tested). This was a couple months after starting the relationship. I am sure she has not had any other sexual partners, so she must have had it the whole time even though she's had no symptoms.

Am I in a high risk situation even though I've been vacinated?

I am waiting for blood test results and I'm very worried.

If the vacine did work ok does that mean I will not contract the viris from her even though she's tested positive?

She's out of the country right now, her english is not great and she does not quite understand the results of her test (after reading all these I can see why!) She has been told that she is not sick but does have the viris.

Should we still be having unprotected sex?

Thanks for your help.

You have been monogamous for four years with your girlfriend who has been diagnosed with hepatitis B.

1. First of all, she should clarify if she has been "exposed" to HBV or if she has chronic HBV disease.

2. If she is a chronic carrier, she may still not be "active" eg, she may not have a high level of virus in her blood.

3. If she is a chronic carrier and she has a high level of virus, you are most likely "safe" since the vaccine works well in terms of protection.

4. Your surface antibody should show protective levels against hepatitis B.

I would not worry. I think all will be fine.

Dr. M

What should I do?
HEPATITIS C