Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I postpone my marriage?
Mar 10, 2006

Dr Barbra,

First of all, thank you all for your time in helping and educating the public.

I've used two condoms with prostitute, and without penetration to be extra safe.

What I am worried about though, is that before I had "sex" ( no penetration ), she was biting my nipples ( no scars or blood or anything else).

She'd been drinking, and without me knowing, she pretty much gathered saliva in her mouth before giving me oral.

I pushed her back immedietly with a firm NO ( Never thought i'd be able to do that! )

The tip of my penis was covered with her saliva. I then put on two condoms ( her saliva wasnt completely dried off yet ) and rubbed it against her with no penetration until I ejaculated.

I was planning on marrying my girlfriend (we agreed on not having intercourse til marriage ) and i'm worried and feeling guilty.

I'm more worried about her than I am about myself.

After reading a bit I'm more worried about Syphilis, Hepatitis (B) and other STDs, that might not have clear symptoms. I have no sores or cuts or anything on my penis. I didnt notice anything abnormal in the lips and mouth of the prostitute.

Questions are, what are my chances of getting an STD, especially that Hepatitis is about 100 times more infectious than HIV ?

I've found most litrature talking about theoritical risks, which was a little comforting, although its whats worrying me.

Should I be worried?

If I get a Hepatitis B vaccination, would it help considering that all this happenned yesterday?

(note: I only had one Hepatitis vaccination years ago and didnt do the other two shots )

I'm thinking the chances are relativly low, but I can't stop thinking about it and dont want to underestimate any chances.

To state the big question in a different way, is the risk high enough to make me postpone my marriage til I get tested for STDs after three months?

Yes I dont know that she had anything, but shes a prostitute and its only logical to not rule out ALL STDs. So I'd rather assume she has at least one. Then think about the odds.

I greatly appreciate your help.

Happy but worried.

Response from Dr. McGovern

Your risk of acquiring a sexually transmitting disease in the circumstances you are describing appear to be very low.

However, I sense that you are extremely anxious and I would certainly suggest that you see a health care provider in a STD clinic so you can discuss this further. I don't think you need further testing.

Dr. M

Previous
staging fibrosis with serum tests?
Next
hepatitis b test results

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.