Hepatitis B treatments ?

Dear Dr. McGoverm, After greetings, First I would like to thank you for all your time in helping patients and also in dedicating your time to all the people who are at worries and unease. Me myself I am a PhD. in AIDS research and I understand how much patience and dedication your help to others need. I have spent hours on your website reading your comments to people and i admire all your efforts. But at no point, I have found any answer that involved what are the available treatments for active chronic Hepatitis B and what are the side effects for each treatment and success rate. I am myself is a HB carrier and I would like to know the answer of this question. Finally thank you very much for all your concerns.

The current therapies for hepatitis B include: Pegylated interferon Lamivudine Adefovir Entecavir

Of all of these, the drug with the highest Hepatitis B e seroconversion rate is pegylated interferon. HBeAg seroconversion is an important end point in treatment, since it is usually accompanies by a dramatic fall in viral DNA and disease activity. This drug is given subcutaneously and has more side effects than the other drugs.

Of the other oral drugs, entecavir has the most potent effect on viral load decline.

There are also many other drugs which are in development including telbivudine and clevudine. There is also interest in using medications and therapeutic vaccines together.

I am hoping within the next few years we will learn if these drugs should be used in combination to decrease the emergence of resistance. Resistance is a major issue to long-term lamivudine use.

Dr. M

Sexual intercoursewith TB boyfriend
Hep C treatment