Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Cough and Flue like symptoms and HBV
Feb 25, 2006

I have been taking Entecvir for the past 3 months and that has help drop the viral load down to log4.3 (20000 copies/ml). Recently I been having bad cough and chills. I had some thing like this three months ago so it may not be due to Entecvir. But I am a bit concerned as to why I get this kind of cough and flue like symptom every few months. Also I have not been sleeping very well, partly because of stress at work. Ofcourse you may be aware that I have some pain in the right side which is bearable but it does get my attention.

The other question I have is with taking Entecvir it may bring my viral load down to undetctable level - short term. But in log term is it possible I will have to face eAntigen negative HepB with pre-core mutant virus? This may be difficult to cure. I wish that there is a medicine that takes care of HBV such that we do not have to worry about e-Antigen negative HBV.

Following are my lab results:

My HBV DNA has dropped down to log4.3 or 20000 copies/ml. I have been taking Entecvire for the past 3 months. ALT = 28, AST = 27. afp = 2.8. EaNTIGEN = POSITIVE Eantibody = NEGATIVE

I had liver biopsy on 10/28/04 which showed Fibrosis stage 2 and inflammation grade 1. Here are my latest lab results.

October 31 2005,

HBV DNA = 310450 Copies/Ml or Log5.5

AST = 28, ALT = 29, eAntigen = positive, eAntibody = negative. Renal Function = Normal.

7/25/2005 HBV DNA lOAD 5.5 or 316500 Copies/ml (LOG) or 1584893 AST = 27 (0 TO 35) ALT = 30 (0 TO 55) Total Protein = 7.1 Albumin = 4.4 WBC = 3.9 RBC = 4.7 Hemoglobin = 15 Platelets = 135000 AFP = 3.6 HBeAntigen = Positive HBeAntibody = Negative

5/4/2005 HBV DNA lOAD 6.2 (LOG) or 1584893 AST = 29 (0 TO 35) ALT = 37 (0 TO 55) Total Protein = 7.1 Albumin = 4.4 WBC = 3.9 RBC = 4.7 Hemoglobin = 15 Platelets = 135000 AFP = 3.0 HBeAntigen = Positive HBeAntibody = Negative

2/2/2005 HBV DNA lOAD 6.5 (LOG) or 3162277 copies (?) AST = 35 (0 TO 35) ALT = 44 (0 TO 55) Albumin = 4.4 HBeAntigen = Positive HBeAntibody = Negative

11/15/2004

AFP = 5.2 WBC = 4.0 RBC = 4.91 Hemoglobin = 15.9

10/20/2004

HBV DNA lOAD 8.1 (LOG) or 125892541 copies (?) AST = 37 (0 TO 35) ALT = 52 (0 TO 55) Albumin = 4.4 HBeAntigen = Positive HBeAntibody = Negative Fibrosis Stage 2 Inflammation Grade 1

9/28/2004 ALT = 52 AST = 37 Ultrasound = Normal I had acute Hepatitis in June 2002 but did not start the treatment until 10/20/2004

Thank you.

Response from Dr. McGovern

It looks like you are having a nice response to entecavir after a short duration of treatment. I would certainly hope that you may also experience HBeAntigen seroconversion as well. This is a very important event in the treatment history of hepatitis B. When this occurs, viral loads usually come down to extremely low levels and are often undetectable.

Your liver function tests are doing nicely as well, which is good news. Also your liver biopsy does not show advanced disease, like cirrhosis, which is good news.

The cough is probably completely unrelated. I would not worry about this.

Dr. M

Previous
Help from france!
Next
paper cut and hiv

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.