Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Help from france!
Feb 24, 2006

Bonjour Dr. barbara McGovern, how are you doing? I would like to tell you that I am a huge fan of yours from france and your answers and helping alot of people, I am one of them, however, I haven't found a similar question of mine!! Eventhough if I think about my question, the answer would be easily found, but I am very obsessed about my body and am deaply terrified of both HIV and Hepatitis, so please answer my question, I beg you, because it would put my mind at ease, and help me to sleep again!

I was hanging out with a friend of mine who's HIV status in unknown. He was smoking a cigarette and he offered me a puff. Not thinking, I took the cigarette and I noticed he had a cut on his lip. I took the cigarette in my hand, kinda whiped the filer with my thumb and index, and took 3 puffs. The first puff, the cigarette barely touched my lips, and I directly spat and cleaned my lips with my hand shortly afterwards. The second puff, I placed my fingers on top of the filter and took a puff by placing my lips on my finger. And then the third puff was a normal one. Now my question is, could I contract anything from that situation regarding HIV and Hepatits and considering what I did? Please note that I had no cuts on my lips ot fingers. Please I would realy appreciate an answer.

I already asked this question to Dr. Bob, the expert in the HIV transmission forum and he told me that the risk of contracting HIV or any other STD from what I did was non existing! I spoke with two nurses who told me that there is no risk also, but please I would really want a small answer from an expert, a small yes or no! Please I beg you!!

Thank you very much in advance!! Yours truly! A Huge fan fron France!!!

Response from Dr. McGovern

I agree with all your other experts - you are not at risk!

Dormez-vous bien. Bon soir!

Previous
Hepa B carrier
Next
Cough and Flue like symptoms and HBV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.