The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please answer. HBV chronic
Feb 24, 2006

Dear Mrs McGovern, I look grateful if you could have an answer for me too. I have send other times but I have not receive any answer, maybe because my results were not specific. Please answer me. I am a girl 23 years old and one month ago I learned that I am HBsAg positive. My new results are HBsAg 269.84, positive, anti-HBcore 0.070 positive, HBeAg 334.40 positive, AntiHBe 20.379, anti-HB IgM core 0.17. As I understand I hav e chronic hepB and I a not a carrier. My SGOT is 27 and my SGPT is 40. What I have to do now? When am I going to die? How many years do I still have? Is there any possibillity to be well?

Response from Dr. McGovern

Yes you are a carrier of hepatitis B. But from the look of your liver function tests (SGOT and SGPT) your labs look good.

You should be in the care of a liver doctor who can monitor you from time to time to see if your liver tests become abnormal. Then may be the time for treatment. Right now if your tests stay normal, you will not be treated.

It is important to be followed regularly (about every six months) in case your disease becomes active. Then you may need a biopsy and treatment.

You also need a good examination of your liver and spleen to be sure all appears okay.

Please discuss this further with your doctor. You will also want to discuss medical issues with your obstetrician if you become pregnant so your baby can be vaccinated.

THere are many new treatments for hepatitis B which is great news for you when you do need treatment.

future for hepa b patients
treating hep c

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint