For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Does HBeAB = cure?

Thanks for your assistance in this matter. I recently read that after infection with HBV, it is possible to still create HBsAG even without the presence of the actual virus. Does this make sense to you.

I would have thought that the complete virus was required for protein synthesis. Do you have any links you can point me to can show the replication process in detail, particulary this aspect of protein synthesis.

With HBV DNA but HBsAG, would you be cured.

Thanks very much. (BTW... youself and Douglas are very handsome, too handsome for doctors... *cheeky grin*)

I think what you are referring to the not HBsurface antigen but Hepatitis B e antigen.

There are sometimes chronic hepatitis B patients who are "e antigen" negative and yet still produce virions (HBV DNA). That is because they have a mutant type of virus that does not produce one of the markers of infection - e antigen. Sometimes people can be confused by this lack of e antigen. They may think this means that the patient's chronic hepatitis B virus is inactive. However, the only way to know that for sure is by testing for HBV DNA.

I hope this helps.

Red Ginseng?
Is it OK to stop tratment NOW ???