help! Scared out of our minds! Very Urgent!

Hi Dr. McGovern, My girl friend was in a monogomous (on her part at least) abusive lesbian relationship. She got out months ago after a fight where her blood was drawn (and she's unsure about whether or not her then bisexual partner's blood was drawn as well). 8 weeks after the incident she tested for Hep C and was found to be negative. Her liver enzymes were also normal. She tested for other STDs around the same time also (HIV included)- all negative. At the six month mark her HIV testing was also negative thankfully. Would you recommend retesting for HCV? Your answer is really important as we would like to put this behind us ASAP! Thank you for all the great work that you and all the other experts do on here!

Since she was tested 8 weeks after the bloody altercation, she is most likely negative and not exposed. I think it is reasonable to draw another antibody test since there can be some patients who convert later; however I think the likelihood of contracting HCV is quite low. Testing would just be reassuring to both of you so you can "put it behind you".

Dr. M

my diagnosis
LOW PLATELET COUNT