Response to Hep C & HIV

Dr. Dieterich,

Why are you suggesting that this woman go to an ID doctor right away if you don't beleive she is infected? I know you say that she probably isn't but an HIV test at six months is supposed to be conclusive. Why not have her just repeat the standard ELISA? Why should she do an RNA if supposedly the ELISA is conclusive at this point? I understand why she should be tested for Hep C beacuse she never was tested before. Please explain your reasoning.

Concerned

Response from Dr. Dieterich

No test is 100% accurate and waiting for anitibody tests causes you to miss the acute infection, either HIV or HCV. This is important because treating acute HIV and HCV is an entirely different matter than treating the chronic diseases. The results of treating the acute infection are much better than if you wait for a chronic infection! That is why I think she should have the RNA tests. DTD

Thank You for Advice
Chronic hep b