How to answer a simple question

I am currently in a tough situation. Currently, I am in the hiring process for a position within a federal agency. An extensive medical history is one of the required fields, and within the history there is a question that distinctively stands out to me. "do you currently have, or ever had, hepatitis" See, I did have hepatitis C. But fortunatly for me, i was blessed to have obtained an SVR. If I answer yes to this question, I am afraid that it will be held against me. But if I answer no, it might come back to haunt me. How should I answer? What is an employer entitled to know, or will the medical history I provide be the extent of their investigation? Might they check the CDC, as I believe the CDC keeps a record of EVERYONE in which has ever tested positive for HCV? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated..

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Good question. I think that honesty is the best policy. It can come back to haunt you, particularly with the feds. Lets make a deal! Answer honestly and if they say anything, I will write you a letter saying that an SVR is indeed a cure. I have done that before, because there is so much ignorance out there. The life insurance companies are really bad that way and you have to beat them over the head. Be honest and I will be happy to support you if need be. DTD

hepatites c
v v worried bout dNA