Do I have to worry about monitoring my self for HCC(AFP Ultrasound)?

Hi Dr McGovern, You are an angel and this world needs more people like you. I'm a 39 years old male. I have both core and surface antibody for hep b I know that I didn't get the virus as a child because I tested negative in 1990. On a routine exam when my wife and I were planning to have a baby, 5 years ago, I test positive for HBsAg(I don't know how and when I got it. But it was after 1990). I was a chronic carrier for at least 3 years. I Serocoverted to (-) HBsAg last year to (+) HB Ab this year. I know I have recovered from the desease but Do I need monitoring for HCC? I read on some articles that people with previous infections are at higher risk of HCC than the general population.

It is excellent news that you have cleared the virus. Yes you are at much much lower risk of hepatocellular cancer now that you have cleared.

I am not aware of any firm recommendations about how often you should be monitored now that you have cleared. I myself would probably do an ultrasound and AFP blood test about once a year for a few years until we know more about how to screen patients who were formerly chronic carriers. However, I think you are at very very low risk. Discuss monitoring with your physician as well to see what he or she thinks.

hep B Surface Antigen Positive
Increased HBV DNA and E Antigen -ive